Friday 4 October 2013

A rainbow facts card game

 
We are on holidays in South Australia... this term they have felt so long overdue! My mind must've been super ready for holidays, it only took me a couple of days to forget which day of the week it was - I love it!
 
Today I thought I'd share a simple little card game that's great to  play with kids to develop their understanding of rainbow facts (or bonds to 10), it's basically a modified version of Go Fish.
 
This game is great to play in small groups (3 or 4) but it can work in pairs too. You'll need a pack of cards (Ace=1, picture cards removed) to play, and I also often give students a sheet with the rainbow facts on it for support if needed.
 
You can get a copy of this sheet here
 
 
The aim of the game is to have the most pairs at the end of the game, but instead of pairs being the traditional matching numbers, they are the numbers that go together to make 10. So for example, if I had a 4, the matching card would have a 6 on it.
 
The dealer gives each player 5 cards, and the rest of the cards are placed in a pile in the middle. Everyone then checks their cards, and sets aside any pairs that they already have. If a player ever has less than 5 cards, they will need to pick up cards from the middle pile, so that all players have 5 cards at all times.  Player 1 then chooses another player and asks them for a particular card.....

Start with five cards...

.....and make pairs....
 

..... 8 and 2 is 10
 
 
 
ie. Player 1 (who has an 8 already)-  'Sam, do you have a 2?'
 
If Sam does have a 2, she will give the card to Player 1, if not, they will need to pic up another card from the pile.
 
The game continues like this until all the cards are gone, then the person with the most pairs is the winner!
 

 

7 comments:

  1. Love this idea Jess! I taught my kiddies how to play fish last term and they loved it - I am sure they would really enjoy this version as well =) Thanks for the great idea!

    Casey
    Lifelong Learners in Prep

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries Casey :) Kids have so much fun with cards games, don't they?!

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea for a game. I'm also teaching my kids 'go fish' at the moment but some of my students are well past recognising numbers so this will be perfect for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teaching through games. Great idea! I found this new educational website for sellers if you are interested: Created by Teachers, Exclusively for Teachers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello i am so delighted I discovered your blog, I actually discovered you by error, while I was searching Yahoo for something else, Anyways I am here now and would just like to say thanks for a great blog posting and a all round absorbing blog (I also love the theme/design), I do not have time to read it all at the right now but I have bookmarked it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read more. คลิกที่นี่

    ReplyDelete