Wednesday 6 March 2013

Jack and Jill's Bucket... A Measurement Activity


 So far this year, we've been looking at Nursery Rhymes, and last week focused on Jack and Jill. I don't think I've ever really noticed until now, but that is a pretty gruesome story... two people falling down a hill and cracking their heads! I only really noticed when I played an animation to the class and half of them were looking at me eyes wide open, worried if Jack was going to be alright! Poor, dear kids!


Anyway, I thought I'd share one of our Maths lessons from the week. For this lesson, we compared how much different 'buckets' (well, containers that we had in our room) could hold. I worked with the kids in small groups; they each chose a 'bucket' and we measured how many blocks they could hold.

We used a number line to show how many blocks were in each bucket...



We then recorded what we'd learnt...here's an example of our finished piece of work...

Sorry about the picture quality :)



The kids really enjoyed this activity, I was able to have some really good conversations about comparison and measuring with each group when which was great too. If you'd like a copy of the sheets we used to make these, just click here :)


3 comments:

  1. Jess! I never thought about it either... geez! LOL! What a cute lesson idea though. I love it when you can tie math and literacy together! Thanks for sharing!

    Leigh
    The Applicious Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know... it's made me think about other nursery rhymes/fairy tales too... there's some pretty gruesome ones! It's funny how you don't notice until it's pointed out though!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I love using Nursery Rhymes because so many of my kiddos come to school knowing nothing about them. This is such a fun way to bring in math too! =)

    I love your blog. Be sure and add a follow button when you get the chance. You can go to design at the top of your blog and then layout. Choose add a gadget and then more gadgets. The follow button is the last one on the page #25. I'll stop by again to follow you.

    I would love for you to hop over and visit when you get the chance.

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete