Friday 15 March 2013

An easy, fun positional language game!


Wow! I can't believe it's Friday already! I think having a three day weekend always helps the week go faster though ;)


For this week's game, I'm sharing one that I use to develop positional language... it's basically a barrier game with a bit of a shape flavour.
Kids work in pairs for this game, they'll each need a copy of the game board. With slightly older kids, I get them to draw their own grid, but I find with new Receptions, it's just easier to give them one that's already made... I'm sure you understand :)

The game can be made easier/more complex by changing the number of squares in the grid
The kids sit back-to-back, so that they can't see each other's work. One player draws different shapes (or lines) in each of the boxes, and they then need to describe where the shapes are to their partner. The aim of the game is to have two pictures that look the same.... sooo much easier than it sounds! We generally play the game as a whole class (with one person up the front, trying to draw the pictures that we have on the whiteboard) quite a few times before they play it in pairs, just to model the type of language to use and the questions to ask.

To make the game more difficult, I say that kids can't name the shapes either.. they need to describe them, which can be a real challenge!

Once the kids have the hang of it, this is a fun and simple to set up game, great for when you have a few minutes spare at the end of a day as well as a great way to 'warm up' for your Maths lesson. :)

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this game! I tried a version of this game with students giving directions back to back on how to draw a person/character using only shapes and language of position. Your game targets two important skills I am working on with my ESL students. I can't wait to try it!
    Forever A Teacher, Forever A Learner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drawing a character sounds like fun... great idea! I bet your kids enjoy it :) I hope your ESL kids enjoy this version too!

      Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

      Jess

      Delete
  2. What a fun game - I can see the kids really enjoying it!!

    Casey
    Lifelong Learners in Prep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Casey

      Yes, it's a pretty popular game... this and Maths Chasey :)
      What games do your kiddies enjoy? I'm always on the look out for new Maths games to try!

      Jess

      Delete
    2. I played this game with my preppies today and they LOVED it! I worried it might have been a bit tricky for some but they all gave it their best shot. They are looking forward to playing with their friends tomorrow!

      I apologise for the late reply - my kids love to play any game using our class set of whiteboards. One of their new favourites is subitising - I show a collection and they have to secretly write the numeral and hold it up without showing their friends.

      Casey
      Lifelong Learners in Prep

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad your preps enjoyed it Casey :) I agree with the whiteboards... my class LOVE using them too! Thanks for sharing how you use them with your class :)

    Jess

    ReplyDelete