Monday 14 January 2013

Subitising Game

Hello again!

I was browsing pinterest the other day (as I tend to do - a lot!) and I found this nifty idea that got me thinking. It is from Mrs T's First Grade Class and is a really simple but effective and fun way that your kiddies can practice  subitising.

Subitising is an essential skill for developing number sense, we do so much of it in my class so I am always on the look out for new ways to practice these skills!
 

To play, you need two players. a game board and tiles/counters to cover each of the subitising patterns on the board. Once the board is covered with tiles, player 1 points to a tile and player 2 lifts the tile for one second. Player one then has to say how many dots they saw. If they get it correct, they keep the tile, if not the tile is replaced. Player 2 then has a turn. this continues until all tiles are removed, the winner is the person with the  most tiles at the end of the game.


You can find the link to the original game board here

This is the simpler copy that I made for my Receptions


What a fun and easy way for kids to practice subitising! I'm planning on adding this game to the list of activities that kids can play when they get to school, before the bell goes. I think it will be a winner!

I'm teaching Reception this year, so I think that many of the kids in my class will find the patterns on the original board too difficult, so I have made a board game that uses patterns up to 5 dots.   

Here is the simpler version (subitising to 5) that I have made for my class. 


I hope you find these games useful! Once again, thanks to Mrs T for the great idea :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jess,
    Thanks for visiting my blog. You have some great Maths ideas.
    I am always thrilled to meet more Aussie bloggers. I have included your blog on my 'Aussie Blogs' page.
    I am your newest follower.

    Rhonda
    Classroom Fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rhonda,

    Thanks so much for visiting! I'm just starting out with blogging, but I love learning and sharing with other people... It so great to be able to share teaching ideas with people all over Australia and the world. Thank you for including me in your Aussie blogs page too! I look forward to reading your blog and hearing about the great things happening in your classroom.

    Jess :)

    ReplyDelete